13 November 2008

inbetween trips, i watch CNN

Thoughts of the Day:


-Leave Palin alone already! I thought the pestering would die down once the election was over, but no such luck. She is a good woman and I dare even say I think she is quite intelligent (dont worry, im as surprised those words are coming out of my mouth as you are). She’s young, hot, and super smart. Although there was obviously some controversy around her nomination for VP, she did NOT destroy the McCain campaign. McCain destroyed it when he was old, boring, and running as a Republican in a year when people pretty much just hate Republicans. Stop using her as a scapegoat!

-I’ve never been a happier person than when it was announced Obama won. I was actually sitting in Del Taco (sadly I still couldn’t bring myself to miss Taco Tuesday, EVEN on election night…) and all of a sudden I got 5 happy phone calls all in a row. What an exciting moment in history!!!

-Prop 8 passed… no comment. People are protesting against the Morms… surprised? No, not at all. But really can you blame them? It does make me sad that people are protesting in front of the temple and blaming it allll on the LDS Church, but I still fully expected it. The Pro-8ers had the right to fight for it, and the opposing side has the right to protest its passing. That’s the way the political process works!!! Especially when it’s a heated issue that passes/fails based on a strong grassroots movement. I’m just grateful we live in America and are all entitled that right, no matter what the opinion may be.

-I’m trying to be all awesome and involved in my ward, but for every step I make forward, I feel like I’m thrown back another 10. I went to a mini- “get to know you” activity at my Bishop’s house (without the roommates… which means I get like quadruple the points), and everything went great and I met some pretty cool people……. Until it all went downhill in a ball of flames. Person 1: “Yeah, in most Arab countries, homosexuality is illegal” Person 2: “Oh, well that’s good” Me: “Yeah, but they like… KILL them for being gay. It’s pretty terrible.” Person 3: “Haha, maybe they should try that in California”. Me, in my head “WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE”. But really… compare Arabs killing gay people with California? Do people, even MORMON people, really think we should KILL GAY PEOPLE? In 2008? As Christians? In America? Wow. I couldn’t say a word for the rest of the evening, and went home with tears streaming down my face. Sometimes Utah just kicks me in the gut.

As soon as CNN will stop talking about the election and propositions and transitions to power, I might be able to think about other things in the world. But then I think... what else IS there in the world?? I don't even remember what newspapers and television and my brain were like before the elections. My past YEAR has been wrapped up in the elections, and it's a bit hard to let it go. But I'm working on it, and CNN should too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE You!!! And I miss you my dear!!! You are wonderful! Thanks for being so great!! I really NEEED to see you/chat with you/hang out with you SOON. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janessa said...

girl, you are my best. I totally hear you about all the election shiz, give it a rest ppl, let's get down to the real issues!!
also, props for trying to be a mega mormon...i'm workin on that too, but like ya said, I get thrown back a lot. but things are currently on the up! it is refreshing to live in a place where a good percentage of mormons are liberals/open minded! *cough cough* another reason to come live with me!? :) p.s. can't wait for cali! hopefully its sooner than later!

greg said...

I don't get what in the hell it being 2008 has to do with not killing "the gays." I don't think the calender should determine what is right. By saying "its wrong in 2008" implys that it was right at one point. Its just a stupid, overly used phrase, and a pet peeve of mine. Greg