15 May 2008

The Month of Movies



21: Who knew that Jim Sturgess could still be hot without his lovely British accent? The concept of using your super nerd skills to go make millions of dollars was pretty captivating, and the fact that it's based on a true story only added to the excitement. Kevin Spacey turns out to be a real jerk, which was disheartening...but then again, when is he not crazy or jerkish? Rarely.

Fool's Gold: As silly as it was at some points, I can never really get enough of the Kate Hudson/ Matthew Mcconaughey dynamic. Ultimately they can save any ridiculous plot line for me. However, if they ever make another movie as cheezy as this again, I'm boycotting them forever. Worth the dollar I spent, but I probably won't be watching it again.

Never Back Down: I promised Aaron we could watch a boy movie this time... and a boy movie it was. Don't get me wrong- I'm all about blood and fights and crazy people (seeing as Fight Club is my favorite movie, after all). However, this one was a little bit over the top. Terrible acting, combined with a too-cliche high school plot, made for a pretty ridiculous experience.

Iron Man: Not just your average action movie. I was kind of dreading it... but since it was part of our double-feature experience, I justified it by saying I was really only spending 4 dollars instead of the usual 8. Turns out it was actually reallllllly good-- by far my favorite superhero flick in a very long time. Great plot, good acting (well, we all know Robert Downey Jr can be a litttttle over the top sometimes), steady pace, good action sequences, AND based around modern politics. Could there be a better combo? I think not.

What Happens in Vegas: SO GOOD!!! The previews made it look funny, but sometimes previews show allll the funny parts, leaving you with nothing when you finally see it. This one however, was continually hilarious. Ashton Kutcher and Cameron Diaz make a cute little couple, and I always find entertainment in watching psychotic drunk people. Also, a surprisingly cute (can I dare say, wholesome) take on marriage.

We Own the Night: Typical Cops v Russian drug lords flick. Interesting, great acting, but an overall slowwww moving plot. It finally picks up at the end, but by then the moment has passed. Joaquin Phoenix is surprisingly tolerable, Mark Wahlberg plays a boring and static character, and Eva Mendes is lookin smokin hot! I'd say it was worth the trip to Redbox, though wouldn't particularly recommend it unless you're reallllly into Russian drug lords.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

can i give it 2 holla backs? please? i've seen most of these movies and basically agree with each of your reviews. nice.

and africa?! bam. thats awesome. part of me thinks we might be some of the same person sometimes.

virginia said...

Either the Dollar Theater sales people know you by name or you've reached Rewards status at Blockbuster... awesome reviews!!

Janessa said...

Ok, ditto on the Iron Man. I was like Hell NO am i seeing that...but now i wanna see it again. And Made of Honor was actually pretty cute as well. I'd recommend it. Not a full pricer, but good enuf to see. Probably goin to Indiana Jones tonight...we'll see how that goes. heard it was lame. Love ya